Friday, January 15, 2010

Back After a "Sick" Break


After a couple of weeks of battling two separate bugs, I'm back in the saddle.

I'm sorry about not posting anything the last couple of weeks, but this has been the worst sick season I've had in many years.  Enough on that.

I've been keeping up with a number of agent blogs and similar industry blogs recently, trying to discover that ONE secret for a query letter that will make agents say, "Send me the manuscript."

As part of that search, I encountered this gem at the GUIDE TO LITERARY AGENTS EDITOR"S BLOG: Successful Queries: Agent Jeff Kleinman and 'The Art of Racing in the Rain.'

It's always worthwhile, I think, to see a specific example of what worked for an agent (I should say for the author).  However, a particular line from Jeff Kleinman struck the cynic in me:
"…we agents tend to be like sheep—what one doesn’t like, the rest of us are wary of, too (or, conversely, what one likes, we all like).

Hmm… what a refreshing admission.  Has anyone besides me thought this lately: "I should drop my current genre and write a YA novel, which is what 99.93695487635624% of agents appear to want these days?"

Baaaaaaaaaaa....

Nah, I guess I'll stick with the psychological thriller.  Surely, somewhere out there, adults are still reading books.

I know, I know… I'm ranting again.  Take a deep breath, Diamond.  There, I'm ready to get back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment